Thursday, September 15, 2011

My place: Kelly's Courtyard in Beijing


I arrive in Beijing around 9:30pm and my friend Amy from high school took the subway to 'pick me up', it was helpful because she navigated us onto the airport "shuttle" and to the normal subway, but unfortunately during the weekday, the trains only run until 10:30pm!! Everyone was kicked off the subway and we had to find a taxi :( No one would stop and this bike & cart guy kept telling us to give up and just let him give us a ride. Amy told him he was too expensive, so he kept trying to barter, but really I was tired and didn't wanna ride in a cart for who knew how long, struggling to keep my luggage from falling into he street!
A couple of taxis stopped, heard where we were going and just drove away!! Ack! Amy finally decided, let's just get in before we tell them where we are going and hopefully they wouldn't kick us out! It works. Our taxi is pretty cool, we make it, but then it's pitch dark and no idea which courtyard it was :-/ Amy walks all through the alley trying to find it, and finally driver is like "yo! call them! DUH!" hahaha (yeah but said in Chinese of course), and Sandy, the hotel worker comes out looking like a shorter Alvin Abalos with his skinny legs and sandals :)

www.kellyscourtyard.com

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical when I found this place online. (click on the photos to see them larger)

common room/living room
Super cute, affordable, and easy access to several notable places in Beijing? Too good to be true! But it was all I imagined and more. Quiet and comfortable, you really feel a part of the traditional hutong style life in Beijing. The staff was so friendly and helpful with suggestions. Cost is about $60 USD per night
my room
patio upstairs
courtyard where the rooms are

 common room/living room








No comments:

Post a Comment