Sunday, September 18, 2011

Maximizing Airline Miles

My trip to Beijing and Hong Kong, including all meals, transportation, lodging, and shopping was $2,000 USD--why was it so cheap? I used airline miles and the roundtrip ticket was free and they gave me a free voucher to use at the Admiral's Lounge!
I am a loyal customer to American Airlines and it finally paid off! I'd say don't waste your airline miles on a short trip, wait for some place far away for an extended trip. (Unless you have an emergency situation)
You don't have to pay the pricey annual fee for an airline credit card to earn miles, you can also do it the "slow and steady way" like I did.

1. Figure out which airline is best for you
What is the most prominent company in your town or where you travel to often?

2. Sign up for the frequent flyer program
Usually free and can be done online

3. Memorize your frequent flier number or at least always have your card on you
sometimes if my work books my flight, they neglect to include my card #, so I always punch it in when I check in

4. Sign up for the emails and actually read them!
Oftentimes there are silly contests, games, or promo videos that the airline sends and if you play them, you'll get free miles

5. Sign up for the dining rewards program
You're going out to eat anyway, may as well have your regular credit card linked so you can get points

6. Shop through the websites e-shopping
If there is something I would buy at Macy's or barnes & noble, I can just as easily buy it online and earn points at the same time

7. Find other partner programs that will give airline miles
Such as your bank, your hotel, etc

Happy flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment